Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Different forms of new media have made society greater consumers of media. This definitely holds true to my daily life. Every day I use my smart phone, explorer the internet, and use social media. Each of these is considered new media.

My smart phone gives me the ability to do almost anything I want, and where ever I want. I am able to send text messages and look at apps while sitting at the park. Most of my apps are designed to give me discounts when I shop, or provide sports related updates.

I enjoy visiting websites and browsing the internet with some of my down time. Before I buy something, I will always make sure that I have done my research. Online review sites allow consumers to make more informed decisions.

My biggest use of Social Media comes from twitter and LinkedIn. I am eager to see what one of my biggest sports hero’s is going to say. I must admit that I follow a few sports blogs that are out there. This shows me what other sports fans are saying.

Social Media has influenced my perspective of events because I am able to see what sports stars are saying about major sporting events(twitter). LinkedIn discloses what other people are saying about different companies. Public Relations disasters are made known to me, and if it weren’t for Social Media, I probably would never know of the event.


Social Media usually has a negative impact on my perspective. I am usually told what companies are doing that people do not like. Occasionally, I believe Social Media does have a positive impact on my perspective. If I read a good blog review, then my mindset changes for the better. For the most part, Social Media will often have negative impacts on society’s perspective. For every good thing that happens, someone will tell 1 friend. For every bad thing that happens, someone will tell 10 friends. 

1 comment:

  1. Kevin - I really like your last sentences where you mention that people will share more bad things than positive things. Have you seen those viral posts from places such as UpWorthy? I see these shared daily, so I wonder if good news is being shared almost as much as bad news. This seems like an interesting research topic to consider (and there probably are published studies on this). I think outrage and frustration often prompts people to share bad news, but what do you think prompts them to share the positive information?

    ReplyDelete